We are seeking poetry, short prose, and art.
To submit poetry to Joey and the Black Boots (the re-BOOT), please do the following:
- Send each poem in separate files (.doc, .pages, or .txt are preferable, if there are spacing issues, send also as a .pdf so the poem “looks” like you want it to)
- Name your files in this manner: Lastname_Firstname-title.doc (first couple of words of the title for long titles, if you have same names for titles, put a number after)
- Send the files to me in an email to: email@example.com
- Limit 10 poems or 10 pages, whichever comes first (if you have really long poems, then only send as many as adds up to 10 pages)
To submit art to Joey, please follow the guide above except that the images should be:
- At least 300 dpi, not bigger than 6 x 9 in when printed, or be ok with down-sizing (while maintaining the aspect ratio, of course).
- Files types .jpg, .tiff, .gif, or .png, though .jpg is preferred. Color work is great.
- File names and page limits as described above.
Simultaneous submissions are allowed, though please notify us immediately if your work is accepted somewhere else. We request first publication rights; after publication, all rights return to the poet/author/creator, though we appreciate a mention if published elsewhere later.
Please note the following:
We are still working out the details of how the new KLP is going to work. This is a grand experiment and we hope the first lucky few will be willing participants, giving good constructive feedback to the process, and don’t get too upset with our stumblings as we learn a new way of publishing.
This is going to be a two-fold experiment. First, we’re going to create poetry zines as PDF files. This allows us to do all kinds of things that we couldn’t do with paper because of the costs involved, like color, more art, less worry about page numbers because of postage and copy fees! Subscribers will get a FREE PDF version for a low-cost (to them and me). A PDF can be printed or read on a tablet/computer. After a certain number (haven’t decided on how many yet but perhaps annually), we plan on creating a combined volume that will be printed at an on-demand site. Authors will be able to purchase the print volume at cost, others at a retail price (still to be determined).
We also plan on featuring one or two poets/poems on our blog to help promote. I will contact you after your submission if I would like permission to do that.
At this time we have not decided on how to handle single- or co-author chapbooks. Stay tuned for that information.
We do not have a printing schedule for now. We need to see how long it takes for this ball to get rolling. As soon as we know, we will let you know. We will also notify you when we receive your submission (within a few days), even if it takes a while (several months perhaps) to reply on actual acceptance. As this grows and gets back on its feet, we expect that time frame to shorten. We also have day jobs, so please have patience.
We are looking forward to this! Please spread the word.